A STRUCTURED PROGRAMME OF ADVANCED STUDY
Extend and deepen your knowledge and understanding of contemporary education with our Online Doctorate in Education (EdD).
This innovative programme of part-time study will equip you with transferable skills in applied research and professional development: skills that will prove invaluable for your future career.
Our Doctorate is like a PhD in education in terms of scale and rigour. The main difference is that you will benefit from having a structured programme of advanced study during the first three years. This tailored programme will be relevant to your profession as an educator, and focused on the interrelationship of research, policy and practice. There's also a focus on collaborative learning, drawing on your own experiences and those of your academic colleagues.
If you are looking for an online learning programme that will give you a relevant and academically rigorous opportunity for advanced study in education, our EdD programme is ideal, and specifically designed for professionals at all levels in education and training.
- Gain expertise in educational research and enquiry
- Carry out research that will contribute to your professional knowledge and practice
- Develop transferrable skills that will be invaluable in your subsequent career
Gain the skills and confidence to advance your career to the highest levels in education and education-related fields.
During the first three years, you will take six compulsory courses (one per semester). Each of these courses requires participation in a study weekend in Glasgow.
In year four and year five, you will work towards the submission of a Dissertation of 50,000 to 60,000 words, supported by an appropriate supervisory team.
Progressing at a normal pace, successful candidates can complete the Doctorate in five years. However, we realise that circumstances occasionally mean participants need to take a break from studies, so the programme allows you to suspend your studies for a limited period.
Programme alteration or discontinuation
The University of Glasgow endeavours to run all programmes as advertised. In exceptional circumstances, however, the University may withdraw or alter a programme. For more information, please see: Student Contract
You’ll gain an advanced understanding of educational policy, focusing in particular upon the political economy of reform, and the relation between educational reform and political ideologies, policy analysis and evaluation. Selected topics in educational policy studies are used as a basis for in-depth analyses of policy formation and implementation.
The purpose of this course is to provide a critical understanding of the purpose, conduct and social significance of education as an ethical enterprise.
This recently developed field critically appraises and analyses policy, practice and theoretical narratives and constructions of the future. The course introduces the study of educational futures, explores different ways of framing theoretical possibilities for this field, and concludes with a chosen topic in the study of educational futures.
This course explores theoretical understandings of reflection, interrogates the construct of the reflective practitioner and associated ideas, and examines ways to develop critical skills that enhance professional knowledge, understandings and practice.
To be accepted to this programme, you must have:
Masters level qualification in education or a cognate subject area
As well as two academic references, you also need to submit samples of recent academic writing, such as assignments and a dissertation, as part of your application
If English is not your first language, the University sets a minimum English Language proficiency level. This is an IELTS overall score of 7 with no sub-test less than 7. If you do not have an IELTS test certificate, equivalent scores in other recognised qualifications may be accepted
To apply to this programme:
You must apply online. As part of your online application, you need to submit the following:
- A copy (or copies) of your official degree certificate(s) in colour
- A copy (or copies) of your official academic transcript(s), showing full details of subjects studied and grades/marks obtained
- Official English translations of the certificate(s) and transcript(s)
- Two reference letters on headed paper (academic and/or professional)
- Research proposal
- Samples of written work
- Evidence of your English Language ability (if your first language is not English)
- Any additional documents required for this programme (see Entry requirements for this programme)
Please check that you meet the entry criteria for this programme before you apply.
You have 42 days to submit your application once you begin the process. You may save and return to your application as many times as you wish to update information, complete sections or upload supporting documents, such as your final transcript or your language test.
- Home/EU: £16,625*
- International: £36,700*
*Total cost, incremental payment schedule available. Fee information is subject to change and is for guidance only.
How much does the programme cost?
Home/EU, part-time: 3,325 per year
International, part-time: 7,340 per year
Can I get help to fund my studies?
You may be eligible for help with the cost of the programme.
What it's like to study online
- 100% online for complete flexibility
- Our part-time online programmes are ideal if you're working full-time or have family commitments.
- Connect to campus from anywhere
- All you need for our online programmes is a device with internet access.
- Gain a global perspective
- As an online student, you'll be part of an international community of academics and learners.
- Learn from the experts
- Our world-class teaching and research staff will help you realise your potential.
- Interact with everyone
- Community building and collaborative learning is a key focus of our online programmes.
- Access a multitude of resources
- Study using a range of materials, including recorded lectures, live seminars, videos, interactive quizzes, journal articles and ebooks.