CELEBRATE ROBERT BURNS
Robert Burns was a world famous figure who rose to literary prominence in 1786. He was considered one of the first celebrities of the modern age. A writer of bitingly satirical poetry cutting through the pretention at the time. Considered to many as Scotlands greatest song writer, he wrote over 200 poems and had a collection of over 400 songs, which he improved or composed from scratch. In addition, he is found to have written over 800 letters that show him to be a master of English prose, a family man, unfaithful, sympathetic and someone struggling to make a career.
In this course you will begin to look at the work and the phenomenon of Robert Burns. Born in 1759, dead by the age of 37, and encompassing a publishing career which spans fewer than 10 years, Robert Burns today is considered Scotlands national Poet and a world writer.
On successful completion this course, you will be able to:
- Explore the poems, songs and legacy of Robert Burns
- Collaborate with other learners in researching and mapping examples of Burns global reach
- Engage with diverse media related to the study of Burns, including poems, song recordings, videos, images, maps and manuscripts
- Discuss the reputation of Burns as a national and international poet
- Develop an understanding of Burns place in Scottish literary tradition
- Application Deadline
- Start Date
- 22 Jul 2019
- 22 Jul 2019
What it's like to study a MOOC online
- Free and entirely online
- MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses) are free online courses designed to be studied online by a cohort of world-wide learners.
- Be part of a wider discussion
- Our online MOOCs develop content that drives discussion and sharing of knowledge globally.
- Test your knowledge
- Experience resources such as video, articles, peer review and quizzes to test your knowledge.
- Dynamic and ever-expanding portfolio
- Maintain your focus and keep on topic with our dynamic range of MOOCs on FutureLearn and Coursera.