ACHIEVE A PERSONAL BEST IN YOUR CAREER
The global sports and exercise sector is a booming multibillion-pound industry. As this thriving sector expands, exciting new opportunities are opening up in the fields of sports science and sports medicine.
If you have the drive to succeed, our online PgCert will help you to turn your passion for sport and exercise science into the knowledge and experience you need to take your career to the next level. This online taught postgraduate certificate in Sports Science is designed to provide you with an advanced, research-led programme of study in sport and exercise science and medicine. You will have access to a number of guest lecture staff providing interactive sessions in their specialist fields.
The University of Glasgow is ranked 2nd in the UK for Sports Science. In addition, this programme is the only one in Scotland to combine sport and exercise medicine with sport and exercise science. Its all covered within our comprehensive degree programme, which can be studied 100% online.
You will have direct access to the expertise of our staff at the National Stadium Sports, Health and Injury Clinic at Hampden Park, a custom-built sports medicine centre. With our world-class facilities, laboratories and teaching staff, were the best-equipped exercise science institution in Scotland.
You will also benefit from the universitys close links with various regional and national sporting bodies and professional clubs.
With our postgraduate certificate, youll be perfectly positioned to study performance and health aspects of sport and exercise science, from the whole body to the molecular level.
- Review evidence from scientific literature covering sport and exercise science and medicine
- Apply the knowledge you learn from the programme to novel concepts and situations
- Design, complete and review a piece of research
- Effectively communicate scientific ideas, concepts and data
- Identify areas of uncertainty and knowledge gaps in the current literature and consider strategies to address these
- Carry out relevant research methods
- Understand the ethics of sport and exercise science
- Gain experience in data handling and statistics
- Interpret and evaluate experimental data
- Learn how to write for scientific purposes
- Hone your oral communication and presentation skills
The flexible nature of this programme means youll have a wide choice of career opportunities. These include working in clinical exercise, health promotion or sports science support.
A number of our graduates are employed in senior sports science positions with national sporting bodies and professional sports clubs. This programme also allows doctors and physiotherapists to advance their knowledge. For science graduates, there are opportunities in rehabilitation and higher education. This degree also provides an excellent basis if you wish to pursue to reach masters and PhD-level research or if you are planning or engaged in research, teaching or an applied practical career in the fields of physical activity and health, or sports performance.
The programme also provides specialist postgraduate training in Sport and Exercise Science and Medicine for doctors, physiotherapists and related health professionals.
The course will involve online lectures, seminars and tutorials. During a residential week at the end of year 1, you will take part in lab classes. You will also take part in journal clubs, presentations and self-directed learning. The programme is made up of 60 compulsory credits.
Programme alteration or discontinuation
The University of Glasgow endeavours to run all programmes as advertised. In exceptional circumstances, however, the University may withdraw or alter a programme. For more information, please see: Student Contract
Provides an introduction to medical statistics, covering a number of the most commonly used basic analyses from both clinical and laboratory studies. The aim is to ensure that you can appraise the literature that includes the methods covered, and use these methods to analyse datasets.
Designed to help you understand the principles, assumptions, strengths and limitations of commonly used methods to assess strength, power, and thresholds of exercise intensity domains (e.g. lactate threshold, critical power). You’ll also gain practical experience in performing these tests.
You will gain an understanding of the principles, assumptions, strengths and limitations of commonly used methods to assess cardiorespiratory fitness and physical activity. You will also gain practical experience in performing these tests.
Designed to provide you with core skills in critical review, communications and the principles of evidenced-based medicine and research. This will help you to evaluate evidence, cite appropriate references, and understand the principles by which a programme of research is undertaken.
Gain an understanding of the principles, assumptions, strengths and limitations of commonly used methods to assess aspects of human physiological and metabolic function (e.g. metabolic rate and substrate utilisation, glucose tolerance, vascular function, body composition). You will also gain practical experience in performing these tests.
To be accepted to this programme, you must have:
A degree in the sport and exercise sciences, physiotherapy, medicine, other relevant biological/biomedical sciences, or other health professions/health-related areas (at least a 2.2 Honours Degree or equivalent)
Alternative qualifications will also be considered on a case-by-case basis
An IELTS score of at least 6.5 with a minimum score of 6.0 in each component (or equivalent qualification) is required if English is not your first language
To apply to this programme:
You must apply online for this programme. As part of your online application, you need to submit the following:
- A copy (or copies) of your official degree certificate(s), if you have already completed your degree
- A copy (or copies) of your official academic transcript(s), showing full details of subjects studied and grades/marks obtained
- Official English translations of the certificate(s) and transcript(s)
- One reference letter on headed paper
- Evidence of your English language ability (if your first language is not English)
- Any additional documents required for this programme (see Entry requirements for this programme)
Please check you meet the entry requirements for this programme before you begin your application.
You have 42 days to submit your application once you begin the process. You may save and return to your application as many times as you wish to update information, complete sections or upload supporting documents, such as your final transcript or your language test.
Key Dates UK/EU
- Application Deadline
- Start Date
- 14 Sep 2020
- 21 Sep 2020
- Home/EU: £5,000*
- International: £5,000*
*Total cost, incremental payment schedule available. Fee information is subject to change and is for guidance only.
How much does the programme cost?
Part-time fees 1,667 per 20 credits
Fees for NHS-funded students:
September 2019 entry: 939 per 20 credits (Total: 2,817)
Can I get help to fund my studies?
You may be eligible for help with the cost of the programme.
What it's like to study online
- 100% online for complete flexibility
- Our part-time online programmes are ideal if you're working full-time or have family commitments.
- Connect to campus from anywhere
- All you need for our online programmes is a device with internet access.
- Gain a global perspective
- As an online student, you'll be part of an international community of academics and learners.
- Learn from the experts
- Our world-class teaching and research staff will help you realise your potential.
- Interact with everyone
- Community building and collaborative learning is a key focus of our online programmes.
- Access a multitude of resources
- Study using a range of materials, including recorded lectures, live seminars, videos, interactive quizzes, journal articles and ebooks.